[Numpy-discussion] NEP process update

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Dec 7 10:51:36 EST 2017

Great idea -- thanks for pushing this forward all.

In the end, you can have the NEPs in a separate repo, and still publish
them closely with the main docs (intersphinx is pretty cool), or have them
in the same repo and publish them separately.

So I say let the folks doing the work decide what workflow works best for
them.

Comments on a couple other points:

I find myself going back to PEPs quite a bit -- mostly to understand the
hows an whys of a feature, rather than the how-to-use its.

And yes -- we should keep NEPs updated -- they certainly should be edited
for typos and minor clarifications, but It's particularly important if the
implementation ends up differing a bit from what was expected when the NEP
was written.

I'm not sure what the PEP policy is about this, but they are certainly
maintained with regard to typos and the like.

-CHB

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 7:23 AM, Marten van Kerkwijk <
> m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Would be great to have structure, and especially a template - ideally,
>> the latter is enough for someone to create a NEP, i.e., has lots of
>> in-template documentation.
>>
>> One thing I'd recommend thinking a little about is to what extend a
>> NEP is "frozen" after acceptance. In astropy we've seen situations
>> where it helps to clarify details later, and it may be good to think
>> beforehand what one wants. In my opinion, one should allow
>> clarifications of accepted NEPs, and major editing of ones still
>> pending (as happened for __[numpy|array]_ufunc__).
>>
>> I think the location is secondary, but for what it is worth, I'm not
>> fond of the astropy APEs being in a separate repository, mostly
>> because I like detailed discussion of everything related in the
>> project to happen in one place on github. Also, having to clone a
>> repository is yet another hurdle for doing stuff. So, I'd suggest to
>> keep the NEPs in the main repository.
>

> +1
>
> Chuck

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov