[PSF-Community] Introduction

John Gill swfiua at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 19:59:04 CEST 2015

First, it has been good to see some familiar names on this list and some
fascinating stories.

I started using python in 2000.  I'd kept seeing people suggesting
"scripting it with python" too many times not to take a look and see
what this python thing was.

It was pretty much love at first sight.  Lucky enough to attend several
pycon's over the years and found many wonderful people along the way.

I am currently living in Bermuda and have spent much of the last year
working with others to develop free software and python community here.

There are lots of pockets of python (and other free software) activity
on this small island:

* teachers using it to teach programming
* robotics with raspberry pi's and arduino's
* individuals running summer schools for young people
* data analysis and risk modelling in finance companies
* weather and environmental research
* hackathons

It is an exciting time.  Lots of individual initiatives, with people
just starting to discover what others are doing.

I am hopeful we will be organising a mini conference some time soon --
will post details here as and when.

In the meanwhile, would love to hear from any pythonistas visiting the
island.

Johnny Gill