[pypy-dev] Scons?

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Fri Feb 14 01:30:47 CET 2003

Hi Bram,

[Bram Moolenaar Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 09:33:53PM +0100]
> Holger Krekel wrote (to Charles Crain):
>
> > As we plan to run on top of CPython first it makes a lot
> > of sense to have SCons drive the CPython build and thus
> > get rid of make/configure dependencies.  It's also a good
> > release goal for our sprint.  The real challenge here is
> > to have a scheme for taking current CPython-cvs as an
> > "upstream" and have a system for keeping in
> > sync what we take out of CPython into our CPython-PyPy.
>
> As an alternative, you might want to look into A-A-P.  Like SCons it is
> a Python based build system.  The main difference is that SCons uses
> a file with Python syntax while A-A-P uses a syntax that looks more like
> a Makefile.  In A-A-P you can use Python script just about everywhere,
> but the dependencies are specified like in a Makefile.  One of the
> advantages is that you can specify a list of files without quotes or
> commas (you do need to use quotes when a file name contains a blank).

Now we even have two choices.  Didn't know that there are two build
systems although A-A-P rings some bells.

> Like SCons, A-A-P is in an alpha stage.  SCons has more support for
> compilers and languages.  A-A-P has support for uploading, downloading
> and CVS.  I'm currently working on a GUI IDE for A-A-P.

I guess a GUI is not of primary importance to us but i am not
sure if the number compilers and languages is important.  We'll
try to go with subversion but a-a-p (what a name, btw :-) could
certainly be adapted to it.

> Most info can be found on the web site:  http://www.A-A-P.org/
> Have a look at the examples: http://www.A-A-P.org/examples.html
> Ask me if you have further questions.

Nice website, especially your tools collection!  And a-a-p also
seems to have an advantage regarding documentation.

I give both projects a closer look although i probably like
to work with SCons first because i know it somewhat and don't
care about makefile syntax too much.  But this also depends on the
people attending the Sprint and their preferences.

Thanks for the pointers!

    holger