[pypy-dev] Does PyPy supports Java ME?

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 11:59:43 CEST 2009

Hi Jan,

Jan Wedel wrote:

> 1.) Does PyPy generate both C and Java Bytecode for the Interpreter out
> of the box or with low effort?

yes

> 2.) Is the java code compatible with Java ME or is it possible to modify
> the PyPy-code/Interpreter-code so that Java ME is supported?

I don't know what are the requirements/restrictions for Java ME.  If the
restrictions are only about the library, it's possible that it works out of
the box as pypy-jvm doesn't use many external libraries. However, note that
you might have memory problems because the binary it's kind of big (the JAR
file is ~8-10 MB, IIRC).

> 3.) What standard libraries are supported? I coulnd't find a list.
> Especially the communication (such as socket) functionality is
> important.

unfortunately, you cannot access any external java library from pypy-jvm so
far.  I agree that it makes it a bit pointless, but basically nobody ever
cared enough/had time to add support for it.

I plan to do it at some point, but surely not before I finish my PhD (which is
supposed to finish at the end of next april).

> 4.) Do you think PyPy is stable enough for commercial use? The MIT
> license allows commercial use as far as I read.

The Python interpreter in PyPy is quite stable and compliant with CPython.
However, the resulting pypy-jvm has never been extensively tested as far as I
know, so it's likely to have undiscovered bugs (but usually they are easy to fix).

So, to sum up: I'm sorry but pypy-jvm is not usable for production right now;
it could be made useful with relatively low effort if someone invested time
and/or money on it, but I don't think it's going to happen very soon.

ciao,
Anto