[pypy-dev] playing with fast-forward

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 00:00:32 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Gary Robinson <garyrob at me.com> wrote:

> I'm experimenting with the fast-forward branch. I'm actually not sure about
> the proper way to get it. (I have the main branch working fine.)
>
> I downloaded a nojit version from
> http://buildbot.pypy.org/nightly/branch/fast-forward/ since I didn't see
> any jit versions listed there. I was happy to see that the method I care
> most about, multiprocessing.Pool.imap_unordered, seemed to work. But I want
> to test it with the jit.
>
> The page (https://bitbucket.org/pypy/pypy/src/021b219e0aef) appears to be
> for the branch, but the mercurial URL shown on that page appears to be for
> the main project.
>
> I tried the downloads under the Source pop-up menu. For some reason, I only
> sporadically am able to get a complete .gz file.** But I did get one.
>
> I was able to run:
>
>  python translate.py -Ojit
>
> successfully -- or at least it appeared so. But I couldn't find a bin/pypy
> to run!?
>
> Any suggestions how to run fast-forward with jit?
>

> ** I've used text browsers w3m and elinks on SuSE, and Safari on OS X (two
> different machines in different cities). Twice, the Safari download has
> stopped at < 500K. (It LOOKS like a successful download, it's just
> incomplete.) The SuSE browsers usually get 16 or 18MB and stop, and tar gets
> "gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file" when I try to uncompress them.
>

> --
>
> Gary Robinson
> CTO
> Emergent Discovery, LLC
> personal email: garyrob at me.com
> work email: grobinson at emergentdiscovery.com
> Company: http://www.emergentdiscovery.com
> Blog:    http://www.garyrobinson.net

a) If you want to work with the code it's probably easier to just use a
mercurial checkout, rather than downloading a tarball.
b) non-release builds (aka what you built) don't generate bin/pypy, it
generates pypy-c in the directory you invoked the translator from.

Alex

"Code can always be simpler than you think, but never as simple as you want"
-- Me