[pypy-dev] translating pypy benchmarks to C

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 18:37:30 CET 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 7:29 PM, Ghitulete Razvan
<razvan.ghitulete at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Why are you trying to do this? The translator doesn't handle random
>> Python, only RPython.
>>
>> Alex
>>

> I am working on a research project to run python on a baremetal system. So I
> basically need a way of translating python code into something that can run
> on baremetal, hence C. After that I want to see whether it is worth it or
> not, and this is why I am trying to translate the benchmarks(as to have a
> common denominator).
>
> Is there any way I can get threading work with the translator. That is, are
> there any threading implementations available in RPython code?
>
> --
> Sincerely,
> Razvan Ghitulete
> Universitatea Politehnica Bucuresti

Hi

There is some support for threading in RPython, see rlib.rthread.

RPython might not be your good buddy here. The executables built are
rather large and the GC (at least on default settings) will not be
that interesting for bare metal. What sort of parameters are you
looking at?

Also, using RPython is really tedious, you have been warned (it's *not* Python).