[Python-3000] Special methods and interface-based type system

Talin talin at acm.org
Thu Nov 23 08:44:02 CET 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> George Sakkis wrote:
>
>> First off, I never implied someone's stupid just because we don't
>> happen to agree on everything.
>
> brushing off a carefully thought out design and the process that led
> up to it with "it's just like picking between two random colors" is a
> pretty direct way of saying that you consider yourself so much smarter
> than the people involved that you don't even care about what they're doing.

That's not what he said though. If you go back and read his original
posting, he was commenting on the quality of *most arguments* about HCI,
not HCI itself, or all HCI-related discussions.

While I wouldn't say it quite so strongly, I do think that there is a
great deal of subjectivity in HCI discussions. One person's 'intuitive'
may be another person's 'orange smoke', as we've seen in the current
discussion.

I'm not saying that such discussion don't have merit, but we must be
careful not to take our own sense of 'obviousness' too seriously. And
that's what I think George was trying to say.

-- Talin