[Python-3000] PEP 3131 - the details

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Tue May 22 02:28:20 CEST 2007

On May 21, 2007, at 6:31 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> This is indeed more conservative, and I could happily put it
> in the PEP, but again I prefer not to do so without an explicit
> confirmation from a user of such a language that this actually
> helps anything.
>
> tomer's comment (that you need the mark even inside an identifier)
> has puzzled me.

I agree: nothing should be done without an explicit example of how it
will actually improve matters. For example: editor XYZ can be used to
sensibly edit JS/C#/Java/whatever code in an RTL language, and could
also be used to edit python if only python did <insert helpful thing
here>. Anything else seems to be simply wild speculation, and should
not be implemented on the off chance that it might be useful in the
future.

James