[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Fri May 25 17:54:50 CEST 2007

On May 25, 2007, at 11:37 AM, Jim Jewett wrote:
> You're missing "here is this neat code from sourceforge", or "Here is
> something I cut-and-pasted from ASPN".  If those use something outside
> of ASCII, that's fine -- so long as they tell you about it.
>
> If you didn't realize it was using non-ASCII (or even that it could),
> and the author didn't warn you -- then that is an appropriate time for
> the interpreter to warn you that things aren't as you expect.

Why? If, today, I download a python module (say, from pypi) that does
something I need, I don't read the source code, I just import/run it.
In the future, why should I even give one whit of concern that a
module I download and don't inspect the source code of may use non-
ascii characters internally?

The answer, for me, is simple: I shouldn't care, and the python
interpreter shouldn't force me to care.

If I later choose to examine the source code, maybe *then* I care,
but that has nothing to do with the python interpreter.

James