[Python-Dev] list comprehensions again...

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 04:38:48 +0200 (CEST)

Tim Peters wrote:
> OK, I'll be serious this time:  if "the next release" is next week, damn
> straight I want to stick to the feature freeze.
> But if it becomes predictably delayed for months, sure, open the floodgates
> again.

All this sounds reasonable.

> Unfortunately, the stuff holding up the release isn't technical in nature,
> so there's nothing most of us can do to affect the outcome either way.

So? To be or not to be?  Make up your mind guys and we'll follow <wink>.
You're the ones who have the best approximation of the set of all possible
predictions. At least it should be better than mine.

Since the release schedule was already revisited a number of times,
and since we're moving to a major 2.0 version, I'm inclined to think
that it would be fine to:

1) delay the release for september, or have a long beta-cycle until then
   (most people are going to spend their vacation in august anyway <wink>
    a) we won't get a solid feedback during a short beta in august,
    b) people will be pleased to see the major release ready on their return

2) Try finalizing at best & ASAP (say, next week) the pending issues with
   the big chunks that are already in -- SRE and Unicode.

3) Consider for inclusion in 2.0 the features we _already_know_ for sure
   have been delayed for 2.1 (a.k.a. -- 1.7) due to lack of time.

4) Emphasize the "quantum leap" with the 2.0 release by underlining the
   XML stuff Paul talked about + the major features considered in 3)

I believe that staying in an undetermined Z-state for more than a week
without a set of clearly defined options is not really what we all want,
but maybe you have some additional considerations that may explain the
ongoing patience about this lag...

back-to-the-future-ly y'rs
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
http://sirac.inrialpes.fr/~marangoz | tel:(+33-4)76615277 fax:76615252