[Python-Dev] Checked in...

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 18:22:08 -0500

Tim Peters wrote:

> That's easy to agree with too, but I need to make a confession here:  my
> belief is that consensus will *never* be reached on anything having to do
> with doc presentation.  Whether it's "structured text", or just what to put
> in a docstring, the Python community has an unbroken string of failures to
> agree on anything.

I'm not quite as pessimistic as you but part of my rationale was
anything, no matter how crappy, would be better than nothing, which is
what we have years of.

I don't care if its:

help="""
Try http://www.python.org.

Have a nice day!
"""

help=NameError is just rude!

I am optimistic that having a user-friendly way to find out about
objects will get the ball rolling for more docstrings, along with Ka
Ping's code to put docstrings on the Web and some IDE's docstring
reporting.

It's difficult to extract sense from strings, but they're the only
communication coin we can count on.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html