[Python-Dev] Documentation Tools (was Unit Testing)

Andy Robinson andy@reportlab.com
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:07:11 -0000

Moshe Zadka <moshez@zadka.site.co.il> write:
> As someone who works primarily in Perl nowadays, and hates
> it, I must say
> that as horrible and unaesthetic pod is, having
>
> perldoc package::module
>
> Just work is worth everything --
[snip]
> We had a DevDay, we have a sig, we have a PEP. None of this
> seems to help --
> what we need is a BDFL's pronouncement, even if it's on the
> worst solution
> possibly imaginable.

ReportLab have just hired Dinu Gherman to work on this.
We have crude running solutions of our own that do both
HTML+Bitmap and PDF on any package, and are devoting considerable
resources to an automatic documentation tool.  In fact,
it's part of a deliverable for a customer project this
spring.

We need both these PEPs or something like them for this
to really fly.  Dinu will be at IPC9 and happy to discuss
this, and we have the resources to do trial implementations
for the BDFL to consider.  I suggest anyone interested
contacts Dinu at the address above.

And Dinu, why don't you contact the doc-sig
administrator and find out why your membership is
blocked :-)

- Andy Robinson