[Python-Dev] [Patch #103154] Cygwin Check Import Case Patch

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 12:47:46 -0500

>     Guido> Summary: Cygwin Check Import Case Patch
>     Guido> But I believe the solution is that the TERMIOS module should be
>     Guido> renamed.
>
> Isn't this a general problem?  As I recall, the convention when generating
> Python modules from C header files is to simply convert the base name to
> upper case and replace ".h" with ".py" (errno.h -> ERRNO.py).  From h2py.py:
>
>     # Without filename arguments, acts as a filter.
>     # If one or more filenames are given, output is written to corresponding
>     # filenames in the local directory, translated to all uppercase, with
>     # the extension replaced by ".py".
>
> Perhaps the convention should be instead to append "d" or "data" to the base
> name (errno.h -> errnodata.py).

An even better solution is to get rid of those generated headers and
incorporate the desired symbols directly in the C extension modules.
That's happened for errno and socket, for example; maybe it's time to
do that for termios, too!