[Python-Dev] Change in unpickle order in 2.2?

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:08:44 -0500

[me]
> I have an application (Grouch) that has to do a lot of trickery at
> pickle-time and unpickle-time, and as a result it happens to be
> sensitive to the order of unpickling.
[...]
> Anyone got a vague, hand-waving explanation for my vague, hand-waving
> complaint?  Or should I try to come up with a test case?

[Guido]
> Yes please, and post it to SourceForge.  There aren't that many
> changes in the source of pickle.py since release 2.1.  (Or are you
> using cPickle?  If so, please say so.  The two aren't 100%
> equivalent.)

False alarm.  It appears that a change in dictionary order bit me; I was
lucky that pickling Grouch objects ever worked at all.

Lesson: when the code to support pickling is too complex too understand,
it's too complex.  Hmmm, that might have broader application.  ;-)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Linux geek                                  gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/