[Python-Dev] Build errors under RH9

Neal Norwitz neal@metaslash.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 18:23:59 -0400

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 02:39:16PM -0700, Gary Herron wrote:
> I just upgraded my development system to RedHat 9, and now I get two
> compilation errors on the Python CVS tree.  I'll have time to examine
> them tonight, but I thought I'd get a notice out now on the chance
> that someone else has already resolved them.
>
> 1. Compilation of _tkinter comes up with
>      #error "unsupported Tcl configuration"
>
>    The failing test was changed just yesterday, but the previous
>    version gives the same results:
>    In revision 1.155:
>      #if TCL_UTF_MAX != 3 && !(defined(Py_UNICODE_WIDE) && TCL_UTF_MAX==6)
>    and in revision 1.154:
>      #if TCL_UTF_MAX != 3
>
>   And yet, if I remove the test, I get a (very minimally tested)
>   working version of Tkinter, so the test should probably be modified
>   to pass in whatever circumstances RH 9 presents.

I believe Martin von Loewis already checked in a fix for this.
http://python.org/sf/719880

> 2. Compilation of _ssl.c fails to find, through a chain of includes,
>    file krb5.h.  Then things rapidly go to hell.
>
>    Defining
>      #define OPENSSL_NO_KRB5
>    gets through the compilation, but I don't yet know how to test it.
>
>    (How to I get past the
>       "Use of the `network' resource not enabled"
>     result of running test_socket_ssl.py?)

I just checked in a fix for Feature Request #719429 which fixes
this problem.  It finds the header file.  To enable resources:

        ./python -E -tt ./Lib/test/regrtest.py -u network

I have a couple of failures.  I think they may have occurred
before upgrading.  Is anybody else seeing this?

        test_array OverflowError: unsigned short integer is less than minimum
        test_logging - (I think this is the old test sensitivity)
        test_trace - AssertionError: events did not match expectation

Neal