[Python-Dev] Looking for programs using regular expressions

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 11:00:18 -0400

> I'm working on techniques to automatically identify problematic
> regular expressions where carefully chosen inputs can cause a matcher
> to run for a long time.
>
> I need testcases, so I'm looking for Python software that that is
> widely used and also uses lots of regular expressions. Can anyone
> offer any suggestions of what I should look at? I'm also looking for
> Perl software.

The first two things that come to mind are the HTMLParser and urllib
modules, which both use regular expressions.  I have no idea if those
libraries have regexps of the sort you're looking for.

Jeremy