[Python-Dev] Re: How to lose potential users/developers

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 07 Feb 2003 07:36:04 -0500

> So, crazy idea for the morning.  Split that sentence up: have one
> list (probably the existing python-dev) where the future of the
> language is discussed.  Have another (python-implementors) where
> anything that does not have a short-to-medium term effect on the
> code in Python CVS is strictly forbidden.  Can this be made to work?
> Or maybe the last month or so has been the exception and this list
> will just naturally reqcquire some of it's focus.

*If* we were to split this up, I'd rather create a new list for wild
and crazy ideas.  But I'm -0 on splitting -- it wouldn't help *me*
because I'd want to be on both lists anyway, and I'm not sure how many
others are helped by it either -- I imagine that most people would
want to be on both lists.  Keeping traffic truly separated would
require more policing of the list than I'd feel comfortable with.  I'm
already uncomfortable with the tone of the messages that are sometimes
sent in reply to incidental "inappropriate" postings by first-time
posters.