[Python-Dev] Re: native code compiler? (or, OCaml vs. Python)

Francois Pinard pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
30 Jan 2003 16:30:31 -0500

[Graham Guttocks]

> e.g, what if I wanted to write an httpd daemon that could scale as
> well as Apache (millions of hits/day)?

More than 625 hits per second average?  If you really have this need, and
see Python developments that could help you, I would guess that Python
developers might be interested in them.  If you do not really have this
need, than this discussion is merely discursive and academical, and might
be better held elsewhere than on `python-dev'.

> Python would not be up to the task.

I would be tempted to consider many architectural avenues, before bluntly
deciding that the choice of Python as an implementation language is _the_
problem.  With millions of hits per day, I would most probably be big
enough to have a flurry of other problems of all kinds, and then, Python
would be more on the side of many solutions than the source of my problem.