[Python-Dev] Re: native code compiler? (or, OCaml vs. Python)

Brett Cannon bac@OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:06:37 -0800 (PST)

[Graham Guttocks]

> Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> wrote:
> >
> > Graham, you have worn out your welcome here.
>
> Well, I apologize for bringing up a subject you don't enjoy
> talking about. Has anyone ever told you guys that you don't
> handle constructive criticism well? I've seen it as a lurker
> on this list as well as c.l.p, and now firsthand.

OK, now I have been basically ignoring this thread and purposely staying
out of this whole mini-flame war that is starting.  But I have to disagree
with the suggestion that this list, as a whole, cannot handle constructive
criticism.

I have to read every single piece of email that comes through this list
and yes, some people can get a little snappy.  But first of all most
people here are volunteering their time here and when something that is
stupid or has a hint of insult it flips a switch (I know it does in me).
And second, we are all human (except Timbot, effbot, and Alexbot when he
pops in from time to time).  When this list gets a question about
something that is asked constantly it just wears on some of us and we just
want to ignore it.  And yet people still responded to your question, which
is more than some lists will do.

But this list's integrity is very high.  Saying the people here cannot
take criticism is, to quote Guido, "bullshit".  Every point here is argued
and people still manage to keep it "clean" as long as you don't come in
here making accusations.  When someone comes in and suggests something
hasn't been done because it might be "too difficult", most of us take it
personally (I would suspect Guido especially).  It is a suggestion that
the knowledge of this list is not high enough to do this.  As has been
stated, though, it just has not been a priority of python-dev to worry
about this and has nothing to do with ability.  If you are that worried
about performance, code it in C and hook into Python.  It is going to take
someone caring enough to actually write a solution and no one here cares
enough.

But you have been "trolling" this list, so you know all of this by now.

I-can't-believe-I-managed-to-prevent-msyelf-from-yelling-ly yr's,
Brett