[Python-Dev] Re: C new-style classes and GC

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Tue, 20 May 2003 15:05:47 -0400

[Michael Hudson]
>> pyapicompat.h could presumably import more or less verbatim the
>> whole preprocessory mess that defines PyAPI_FUNC in Python today?
>> AFAIK it doesn't depend on anything else from Python or autoconf or
>> so on.  Maybe.

[Michael too]
> This is *still* too simplistic, but is probably the right idea.  I'll
> try to have a look at it, but won't be disappointed if someone beats
> me too it.

I agree on all counts <wink>.  A difficulty with preprocessor symbols is
their very low "discoverability"; for example, the current maze takes as
input symbols like Py_ENABLE_SHARED and HAVE_DECLSPEC_DLL, and it's rarely
clear where all those may be defined, or why.  I got as far as noting that
the current version of PC/pyconfig.h defines HAVE_DECLSPEC_DLL, and may
define Py_ENABLE_SHARED if Py_NO_ENABLE_SHARED isn't defined, ..., and then
the flu convinced me it's time for another nap.