[Python-Dev] Regression tests

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 22:10:14 CEST 2004

[Batista, Facundo]
> This is my first time doing the regression tests after an installation, and
> I have some questions:
>
> - It gave me a lot of skipped:
>
>    42 tests skipped:
>        test__locale test_aepack test_al test_applesingle test_bsddb185
>        test_cd test_cl test_codecmaps_cn test_codecmaps_jp
>        test_codecmaps_kr test_codecmaps_tw test_commands test_crypt
>        test_curses test_dbm test_dl test_fcntl test_fork1 test_gdbm
>        test_gl test_grp test_imgfile test_ioctl test_linuxaudiodev
>        test_macfs test_macostools test_mhlib test_mpz test_nis
>        test_normalization test_openpty test_ossaudiodev test_plistlib
>        test_poll test_posix test_pty test_pwd test_resource
>        test_scriptpackages test_signal test_sunaudiodev test_timing
>    Those skips are all expected on win32.
>
> As long these are all expected to skip, shouldn't they not be tested in
> -uall mode?

It's very clear which tests "should" and "shouldn't" get skipped on
Windows, because the Python Windows installation includes all the
3rd-party code too (Berkely DB, Tcl/Tk, zlib, bz2, etc).  It's much
fuzzier on other systems.  In order to avoid special-casing Windows,
regrtest.py just tries everything on all platforms.

> - It gave me some failed:
>
>    6 tests failed:
>        test_cfgparser test_decimal test_socket_ssl test_timeout
>        test_urllib2 test_urllibnet
>
> What should I do with these? I'll certainly take a look at test_decimal, but
> with the others? Inform them here? Open bugs?

The test_cfgparser and test_decimal failures are due to missing test
files in the 2.4a1 installer.  I already opened a bug report about
those.

I'm not sure about the others.  I've never tried -uall on Windows.
test_cfgparser and test_decimal were the only ones that failed on my
WinXP installation when doing

    regrtest.py -u network,largefile,bsddb,decimal

I don't *think* the other 4 should have failed.  So please open bug
reports, and set the version to Python 2.4.