[Python-Dev] Python 2.5 Schedule

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Sat Mar 18 10:37:04 CET 2006

"Neal Norwitz" <nnorwitz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I posted a message to c.l.p about the upcoming alpha 1.
>
> Just in case anybody here's been snoozing, 2.5 alpha 1 is coming up
> real quick, hopefully within a couple of weeks.  If you have any
> *major* features (particularly implemented in C) that you want to see
> in 2.5, bring it up now.  I want to strive for feature completeness by
> alpha 1.  I know we will have some .py modules that won't make it into
> alpha 1, but they really should make it in by alpha 2 or be deferred
> to 2.6.

(as previously requested August 12, 2005)
(http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-August/055356.html)
> For 2.5a1...
>
> Some exposure of _PyLong_AsByteArray() and _PyLong_FromByteArray() to
> Python. There was a discussion about this almost a year ago
> (http://python.org/sf/1023290), and no mechanism (struct format code
> addition, binascii.tolong/fromlong, long.tostring/fromstring, ...)
> actually made it into Python 2.4 .  At this point, I'd be happy to get
> /any/ mechanism, with a preference to struct and/or binascii (I'd put
> them in both, if only because different groups of people people may look
> for them in both places, and people who use one tend to like to use that
> one for as much as possible, and because the code additions in both are
> minor).

Raymond followed up with the following:
(http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-August/055358.html)

> Assign 1023290 to me and I'll get it done in the next month or so.

It was assigned, but he didn't get around to it at the time.  I can
easily update the patch/test/documentation for struct, but my CPython
abilities are somewhat lacking, and I wouldn't be comfortable writing
two new functions in the binascii module.

 - Josiah