[Python-Dev] Python version incorrect on website?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Mar 12 10:52:52 CET 2007

Rajstennaj Barrabas schrieb:
> I have an application which runs on 2.4.4 and is known not to run on 2.4.1 or
> 2.5, and I'm trying to install 2.4.4 from the website.
>
> Whenever I download and compile the 2.4.4 sources, the executable shows up as
> 2.4.1 which will not work for my application.
>
> I've downloaded both the bzip and gzip versions, and checked the MD5 sums as
> posted on the website, but the 2.4.4 system still shows 2.4.1 when run. The
> local file "buildno" contains the number "1", and the command ./python -V
> returns the string 2.4.1.
>
> (Linux 2.6.8-2-686, everything is apt-get "current". I'm downloading the source
> tar files because apt-get doesn't have the version I need.)
>
> Is there a mismatch on the python website?

It would have helped if you had reported what the precise URL was that
you downloaded, and what precise md5sum you got.

I can confirm that the official URL for Python 2.4.4 is

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.4/Python-2.4.4.tar.bz2

and the official md5sum of that is

0ba90c79175c017101100ebf5978e906

Regards,