[Python-Dev] FreeBSD test suite failure -> curses

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Mar 8 12:08:32 CET 2008

> So I added my first buildbot yesterday (for FreeBSD and I hope to add a few
> more different BSD ones to the fray) and I see that it is failing in the
> test_curses part.
>
> I tracked it by hand and somewhere along the test it segfaults. The
> resulting coredump is not really helpful.
>
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x281aa61f in pthread_testcancel () from /lib/libpthread.so.2
> #1  0x281a2a52 in pthread_mutexattr_init () from /lib/libpthread.so.2
> #2  0x28167450 in ?? ()
>
> Anybody have any hints where I should poke around?

If you want to ask for help, that's probably something for the FreeBSD
lists. Unfortunately, the FreeBSD threads library is notorious for
crashing, hanging, and doing other unpleasant things to Python.

If you want to debug this, run Python in a debugger, and run the
test suite from there. core files are often not too helpful.
For the core file, make sure you select the right thread to inspect -
this is probably not the one which caused the crash; use "info
threads" as a starting point (hoping that the core file supports
that).

Regards,
Martin