[Python-Dev] www.python.org/doc and docs.python.org hotfixed

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 13:52:16 CEST 2008

On Oct 2, 2008, at 7:28 AM, Thomas Wouters wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 12:44, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>
> wrote:
> Thomas Wouters <thomas <at> python.org> writes:
> >
> > If anyone feels particularly frustrated by the old URLs breaking,
> I wouldn't
> mind adding a redirection for each individual URL as long as I don't
> have to
> build that mapping
>
> Well in general URLs aren't supposed to break (except the ones which
> are
> deliberately temporary). Could a RewriteRule do the trick?
>
> Not a single one, no. The URLs *all* changed. There is not a single
> one that's the same. We may be able to do a single rewrite rule for
> most of the module-*.html URLs, but everything else -- and there is
> quite a lot of 'else' in the 2.5-and-earlier docs -- needs a better
> mapping. Feel free to send me that mapping :-)

Perhaps it has already been suggested and rejected for some reason,
but we could include the major/minor version numbers in the URLs.
That would make it easier to rewrite old URLs, and I assume there will
be 2.x and 3.x documentation available online for some period of time?

docs.python.org/lib/* could redirect to docs.python.org/2.5/lib/*

docs.pyhton.org/ (note no *) could redirect to docs.python.org/2.6/
and include a link to docs.python.org/3.0/

That way all of the old references (in Google and bookmarks) would
still work.

Perhaps we should restore the old version of the files until this is
resolved?  Being redirected to the top landing page is a little
disconcerting if you come to the site through a search engine and
aren't familiar with the organization of the manual.  For example, I
went to look for the documentation on how slots work, and ended up at
the top of the reference manual.  The local search didn't work (no
results), "slots" isn't in the index, and google still has the old URL.

Doug