[Python-Dev] PEP 3003 - Python Language Moratorium

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Nov 3 20:21:06 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 09:35, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> I've checked draft (!) PEP 3003, "Python Language Moratorium", into
> SVN. As authors I've listed Jesse, Brett and myself.
>
> On python-ideas the moratorium idea got fairly positive responses
> (more positive than I'd expected, in fact) but I'm bracing myself for
> fierce discussion here on python-dev. It's important to me that if if
> this is accepted it is a "rough consensus" decision (working code we
> already have plenty of :-), not something enforced by a vocal minority
> or an influential individual such as myself. If there's too much
> opposition I'll withdraw the PEP so as not to waste everybody's time
> with a fruitless discussion.

Are you going to gauge it roughly from python-dev feedback, or should
we take a more formal vote on python-committers once the PEP has
settled?

> The PEP tries to spell out some gray areas but I'm sure there will be
> others; that's life. Do note that the PEP proposes to be *retroactive*
> back to the 3.1 release, i.e. the "frozen" version of the language is
> the state in which it was released as 3.1.

I'm obviously +1 for this.

I think one thing to decide is how long the moratorium is in effect.
As of right now the PEP's abstract says for "at least two years",
which taking into account the release schedule Benjamin is proposing
and assuming acceptance at the end of the year puts us at roughly the
release of Python 3.3. Should we just say this will be in affect until
development is open for Python 3.4?

-Brett