[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Nov 4 06:20:18 CET 2009

On Nov 3, 2009, at 5:16 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
> 2009/11/3 Brett Cannon <brett at python.org>:
>> I'm afraid there is some FUD going around here, which is
>> understandable since no one wants to burn a ton of time on something
>> that will be difficult or take a lot of time. But I have not heard
>> anyone in this email thread (or anywhere for that matter) say that
>> they tried a port in earnest and it turned out to be difficult.

> FWIW, I did a quick survey of some packages (a sampling of packages
> I've used or considered using in the past):
>
> Twisted - no plans yet for Python 3

Speaking of FUD, we've had a plan for Python 3 support for some time:

     http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/2484
     http://stackoverflow.com/questions/172306/how-are-you-planning-on-handling-the-migration-to-python-3/214601#214601

Not only that, but progress is actually being made on that plan, as it
is being slowly executed by contributors from the community, a
sampling of which you can see on these tickets, linked from the bottom
of the "master plan" ticket I mentioned above (#2484):

     http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/4053
     http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/4065
     http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/4066

If you're interested in helping, our core team has all not had much
time for Twisted lately and we need volunteers who are interested in
doing code reviews and becoming a committer to help shepherd these
tickets through the process.