[Python-Dev] PEP 3003 - Python Language Moratorium

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Nov 6 04:23:26 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 15:26, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> I have come to the conclusion that there are better ways to
>> pre-announce that a module is going to disappear instead of
>> deprecation warnings.
>
> What exactly are those better ways? Document as deprecated only?

Sorry, I have an existence proof, but no construction. :-)

Ideas welcome. Silent deprecations, loud documentation, biweekly home
visits, whatever, as long as it doesn't log a message by default.

The thing is, in practice, people will be testing with a new release
anyway, and that's the earliest time they are likely to take action
(other than silencing the warnings).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)