[Python-Dev] On track for Python 2.6.4 final this Sunday?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Oct 13 16:16:36 CEST 2009

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Are we on track to release 2.6.4 final this Sunday or do we need another
> rc?
>
> Yesterday, Tarek committed another setuptools related fix and said that
> he was going to run a bunch of build tests locally.  Tarek, how did that
> go?
>
> Please note that issue 7064 is still open as a release blocker.  Can we
> close that (again) now?
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue7064
>
> I am still being very conservative about what goes in 2.6.4.  Only
> regressions introduced in 2.6.3 are being accepted.  There's plenty of
> time after that for patches to go in for 2.6.5.

It would be nice to get this issue resolved out for 2.6.4:

http://bugs.python.org/issue4120

The problem is that extensions built with 2.6.x will not work
when used with a User-only installation of Python on machines that
don't already have the MS VC90 CRT DLLs installed system-wide.

There's a patch available that appears to work, but someone with
more manifest-Windows-DLL-fu than me will need to have a look at it.

One possible approach would be to use the patch in 2.6.4 and then
continue digging deeper until 2.6.5 is released.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 13 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/