[Python-Dev] Removing Windows 95-related code in posixmodule.c

Tim Lesher tlesher at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 20:53:45 CET 2010

Now that Windows 9x is no longer supported (per PEP 11), would it be
appropriate to replace the ANSI ("A") versions of Windows OS calls in
posixmodule.c with their Unicode ("W") equivalents and remove the
unicode_file_names() function that determines which version to call?

There are a number of places in that module where we try to decide whether
to call ANSI or UNICODE versions (because only the ANSI versions were fully
supported on Windows 9x).  This is still fine on Win32, where the ANSI
versions are still supported for backwards compatibility, but it causes
issues with Windows CE, which doesn't have the ANSI versions at all.

I've been maintaining some fairly ugly patches to cope with this in my
company's Python 2.5.x for CE build, and I'd love to drop them as we move to
a post-2.6 version.

Thanks!
--
Tim Lesher <tlesher at gmail.com>