[Python-Dev] iso8601 parsing

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 19:06:58 EST 2017

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 6:42 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> indeed what is the holdup? I don't recall anyone saying it was a bad idea
> in the last discussion.
>
> Do we just need an implementation?
>
> Is the one in the Bug Report not up to snuff? If not, then what's wrong
> with it? This is just not that hard a problem to solve.

See my comment from over a year ago: <
https://bugs.python.org/issue15873#msg273609>.  The proposed patch did not
have a C implementation, but we can use the same approach as with strptime
and call Python code from C.  If users will start complaining about
performance, we can speed it up in later releases.  Also the new method
needs to be documented.  Overall, it does not seem to require more than an
hour of work from a motivated developer, but the people who contributed to
the issue in the past seem to have lost their interest.