[Python-Dev] PEP 564: Add new time functions with nanosecond resolution

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 19:32:32 EDT 2017

Le 21 oct. 2017 20:31, "francismb" <francismb at email.de> a écrit :

I understand that one can just multiply/divide the nanoseconds returned,
(or it could be a factory) but wouldn't it help for future enhancements
to reduce the number of functions (the 'pico' question)?

If you are me to predict the future, I predict that CPU frequency will be
stuck below 10 GHz for the next 10 years :-)

Did you hear that the Moore law is no more true since 2012 (Intel said
since 2015)? Since 2002, CPUs frequency are blocked around 3 GHz. Overclock
records are around 8 GHz with very specialized hardware, not usable for a
classical PC.

I don't want to overengineer an API "just in case". Let's provide
nanoseconds. We can discuss picoseconds later, maybe in 10 years?

You can now start to bet if decimal128 will come before or after
picoseconds in mainstream CPUs :-)

By the way, we are talking about a resolution of 1 ns, but remember that a
Python function call is closer to 50 ns. I am not sure that picosecond
makes sense if CPU doesn't become much faster.

I am too shy to put such predictions in a very offical PEP ;-)

Victor