[Python-ideas] PEP 485: A Function for testing approximate equality

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Feb 6 06:10:41 CET 2015

On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 09:53:49PM -0600, Ron Adam wrote:

> I prefer the weak version myself.  Because if you graph the result of True
> values for rel_tolerance=1.  You get a graph where all like signed numbers
> are close.   A tolerance of .5 gives a graph of the fifty percent of middle
> like signed numbers.  And you can think of it as a percentage of the larger
> value.  Which tends to be easier than thinking about percent increase.

I'm afraid I don't understand this description.

> Also this recommends using this method.
>
>     http://c-faq.com/fp/fpequal.html

You stopped reading too soon:

[quote]
Doug Gwyn suggests using the following ``relative difference'' function.
It returns the relative difference of two real numbers: 0.0 if they are
exactly the same, otherwise the ratio of the difference to the larger of
the two.
[end quote]

Anyone got a copy of Knuth handy and check the reference given above?

Knuth Sec. 4.2.2 pp. 217-8

I'd like to know what he has to say.

--
Steve