[Python-ideas] PEP 505: None-aware operators

Amit Green amit.mixie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 01:02:47 EDT 2018

 On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 12:25 AM, Raymond Hettinger <
raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> It probably is the wrong time and probably can hurt (by introducing
> divisiveness when we most need for be focusing on coming together).
>
> This PEP also shares some traits with PEP 572 in that it solves a somewhat
> minor problem with   new syntax and grammar changes that affect the look
> and feel of the language in a way that at least some of us (me for example)
> find to be repulsive.
>
> This PEP is one step further away from Python reading like executable
> pseudo-code.  That trait is currently a major draw to the language and I
> don't think it should get tossed away just to mitigate a minor irritant.

+1.

Also this whole none-aware problem is really really complicated, so I'd
like to add a few thoughts:

1.  I spent a few days on it last year, and came to the following
conclusions:

2.  It is a *really* useful feature -- that I want in quite a lot of code
that I write.

3.  The problem is way deeper than simply adding '?.' and other operators.
For real use cases, you also need to say "how far" the an operator can
"spread" -- and this is real hard to solve.

4.  Coming up with a readable syntax that doesn't look like line noise is
really hard; and very subjective.

Based on all that, I have to agree -- now is not the time to try to resolve
these issues, there are more important issues to resolve -- I'll write more
on that tomorrow.