Just like in our DNA...

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Oct 6 09:45:55 EDT 1999

"Tim Peters" <tim_one at email.msn.com> écrit:

> > When I finally got the joke, I found it _so_ American-centric and _so_
> > displaced, that it was not funny at all.  These people were imposing their
> > non-sense on me, just for the narrow pleasure of laughing between
> > themselves?

> Well, yes -- much like the French Python pun you treated us to when you
> first joined us <wink>.

But there is a nuance.  You read my message, understood it, smiled maybe,
deleted it and just went on.  I did not really impose anything on you.

You would not believe the number of times I did have to type this stupid
`robotussin' program name over the years, having not much clue from time
to time how I should exactly spell it.  The usual English dictionaries
and textbooks I consult would not give a clue.

In an international community of free software developers, we try to use
a reasonable level of English, and it is a real pleasure that people are
impeccable, on the average.  And if it gets difficult, there is no problem
if the difficulty brings with it some bits of culture, literature, movies,
theatre; this is all good, nice, and very welcome.  But when the difficulty
gets reduced to a local-centric commercial trademark for some insignificant
drug, by all the hell tell me, which kind of culture is that...