Python in game development?

Cees de Groot cg at gaia.cdg.acriter.nl
Mon Jul 24 14:56:16 EDT 2000

Michael Hudson  <mwh21 at cam.ac.uk> said:

>Another major advantage of dynamic languages like Python (or lisp or
>...) is that you can easily poke around at the data structures at
>runtime (which is rather less tedious than stopping your debugging
>session, adding some code to dump said data structures to a file,
>recompiling, getting your program back to the state you want to debug,
>then looking at the file, trying to remember why you created it).

And this gets /really/ great if your code runs in a persistent VM, like
Smalltalk. I've only poked around a bit with it (www.squeak.org), but
the combo of the VM, class browsers, object browsers, and an elegant
language makes me drool. Two things I don't understand: why I haven't
looked at that language sooner, and why apparently no other language
has adopted such an environment.

(take a look at Squeak, and especially at the GUI, Morphic. Drop a standard
widget on a canvas, right click it and subclass the thing as it is alive,
and start adding functionality - methods, data - which works, of course,
just as well at run-time. Definitely a source of inspiration).

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Forge your CipherSaber and list it: http://www.xs4all.nl/~cg/ciphersaber/