Which linux distros have Python by default?

Kalle Svensson karl-sve at dsv.su.se
Thu Jun 15 17:45:45 EDT 2000

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Moshe Zadka wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
> > I'm going to distribute a utility written in Python/Tkinter as
> > a configuration/administration utility that goes with a Linux
> > device driver.  I was just wondering how many customers are
> > likely to have Python/Tkinter available.  I doubt that anybody
> > is going to install Python just to run this program.
>
> Pretty soon, everyone will want to have Python to use ESR's CLM2, a
> configuration utility for the the kernel written in Python/Curses.
> Tkinter is a different matter though

But CLM2 isn't going to be standard for a while yet, not before 2.6, I
think. Not counting development kernels, that is. But they're not
installed by default, right? :)
OK, I'm not sure about this one, I admit. I don't even know how the
flamewars ended on the mailing list, but there was some resistance, and it
seems like a big change to a kernel that's supposed to be close to
release.

Another thing that probably will make Python default faster is that many
GNOME developers seem to like it (PyGNOME is included in Helix GNOME).
I don't know how it is on the KDE side, but with all the good things I've
heard about PyKDE, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some acceptance of
Python there too.

Regards,
  Kalle Svensson