Python Project Idea

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 15:13:19 EST 2000

"David" <root at 127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:3a06eae6.70322297 at news.telus.net...
    [snip]
> The Python shell would, of course, not achieve these low-memory,
> higher-stability goals.  But it would allow one to write full-time
> mini-apps that would greatly increase one's throughput when working.
>
> For instance, I'd be writing a miniapp that queries my mailbox every ten
> seconds or so.  It'd grab message headers and (a) delete [or maybe even

...can't you do that by using Active Desktop and just embedding
a suitable ActiveX control (realized in Python) or 'DHTML Control'
(scripted in PythonScript -- which IS Python) into your A-D page?
Or a myriad other such ways...?  win32all lets Python be PythonScript
easily, and I think you can write ActiveX controls too (haven't done
the latter myself, except in terms of 'Scriptlets', though).

> These miniapps would always be in-memory, and there'd be no delays in
> running them, because the Python interpretor would also always be in
> memory.

Ditto for my proposals -- PythonScript, e.g., would get loaded
once at startup, period.  The advantage would be using it NOW,
rather than waiting months for another shell to be developed:-).

Alex