Call for a small program - willing to give a bonus

Tom Karas Tom.Karas at htp-tel.de
Sun Dec 30 09:15:34 EST 2001

Hello out there.

Because of several mails, that my original posting and even the second
posting
on the same thread could not be found i decided to post my first posting
again.
I set a followup-to comp.lang.python so you will find any answers there.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

<quote>
Hello out there,
  who wants to practice his skills and make the start of a language
learn
software.

The reason: AFAIK there are just a few - if any - language learn
programs under a GPL or FreeBSD-Style Licenses available - which could
be run under linux and windows.

I am learning spanish in an exchange with a mexican who learns german
right now - and i bought several programs for windows - but none of them
fulfill what a good learn software IMHO should do.

One of the things that are often missing: presentation of a verb in
different forms plus a few different examples:
   the verb to be:
I am in the pool.                     Ich bin im Pool.
You are cool.                         Du bist cool.
He is at the movies with his sister.  Er ist mit seiner Schwester im
Kino.

This is a quite simple example but i think this are the things one has
tackle at the beginning of learning a language

The KDE project - www.kde.org - noticed a couple of weeks ago that the
educational stuff under  kde was kind of lagging behind. Since then
there popped quite a few new programs out. But although the kde project
does a great job - the programs still can't be used under windows
( at least not without a big effort).

So i thought this is were python, java, ruby or even kylix/delphi  could
work. I do not know any of these languages but are willing to learn one
(probably python) so i am not able to write the program myself, but i
would help in maintenance stuff. (that would mean to type vocabulary in,
to make example sentences, maintain the web site )

</quote>

Later the program should also be able to play sound. I heard,
this could be difficult with python !?

So maybe Java would be a better bet ?

I am even willing to pay a little for the solution that fits some basic
needs,
but because i am a student this will be more like a little bonus.

For more details mail me:

Tom.Karas at htp-tel.de

Best regards

Tom

--
Trust the computer industry to shorten the term "Year 2000" to Y2K.
It was this kind of thinking that got us in trouble in the first place.