pyXML support for XSL tranformations??

Uche Ogbuji uche at ogbuji.net
Fri Jan 26 21:30:58 EST 2001

"David C. Ullrich" wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:02:31 GMT, Chris Ryland <cpr at emsoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >
> >The Fourthought people (www.fourthought.com) also have an open-source
> >XSLT processor written in Python.
>
> I was gonna say that but I wasn't sure they'd got something that would
> work with the latest version of Python.

4Suite >= 0.10.0 works with Python 1.5.2 and 2.0.  Current version is
0.10.1

> I have the 4Thought XSL stuff from a little while ago. When I
> installed it I had to replace the current (1.5.2) Python xml.dom
> with one that came with 4Thought, which I gather was an
> older version.

No, actually, PyDOM is now obsolete.  4DOM is now the "official"
full-blown DOM from the Python/XML SIG and included in PyXML.

Furthermore 4Suite >= 0.10.1 bundles PyXML for easier installation.

> I didn't like this but I did it and it works fine.

As it should always have.

> Q: Does the current 4Thought XSL stuff get along a little
> more _cleanly_ with Python? (I actually haven't got around
> to getting Python 2.0 precisely because it took a little
> tweaking to get the XSL going in 1.5.2...)

I'd have to know what exactly you found unclean before.  There is no
reason why you can't download 4Suite-0.10.1.tar.gz, untar it, run
"python setup.py install", and be completely ready to go.

But just in case, there are a 4Suite Installation HOWTOs for UNIX and
Windows.

See

http://services.4Suite.org/topics/rdf/Top/Documentation/HOWTOs

--