The Evolution Of Python

Ben C benc1 at today.com.au
Sat Jul 28 08:07:22 EDT 2001

In the ecosystem of programming languages I think that the argument
"Oh you can't change that as it will break all my existing code"
should not be used to stagnate the evolution of a language ... and
infact if you think about it is quite selfish ... to have Python
evolve will require a some effort from everyone who activley uses the
language ... if it means reworking some code then so be it ... or if
1.X is the niche you like then stick with it ...

I don't envy Guido at all ... he is in a tough position ... he has to
consider IMO three choices:

a\ Try to retain retrospective compatibility while still adding new
features and evolving the language == bloats the language by adding
extra operators and syntax (see Perl (more than one way to do
everything)  and VB (I think only the MS marketing dept think that VB
is OO))

b\ Try not to change the language to keep maximum retrospective
compatibility == stagnates the language (see Rexx==dinosaur )

c\ Change existing language features to improve the language ==
sacrifices retrospective compatibility for evolution (see all
languages in their infancy ie. Mercury -
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/ )

I hope Guido will keep leaning towards c\ ... if change is needed to
make the language more 'beautiful & eloquant' then so be it ...

regards