win32com:MakePy -- Early Binding without the size jitters?

Paul Moore paul.moore at
Fri Mar 9 15:02:03 CET 2001

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001 12:08:10 +0100 , "Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at> wrote:

>"Clark C. Evans" <cce at> wrote in message
>news:mailman.984043211.10915.python-list at
>    [snip]
>> each library.  I was wondering... is it safe to delete
>> methods/interfaces which I'm not using?  I've deleted
>> a few, and it still works for my purposes, so I was
>> wondering if I'm shooting myself in the foot -- or if
>> there is a methodological approach to this pruning?
>Yes: study the sources and look at the bForDemand
>flag (introduced reasonably recently).  That flag
>ensures that only the wrappers you're actually using
>are generated (it uses packages rather than modules
>to house the wrappers).

More specifically, run makepy -d to generate "on demand" support. Support for
the basic object is generated, but then sub-object support is built as

This is quite nice, and I didn't know it was available. Thanks for the
pointer, Alex!