Good Editor? (What's the big deal with syntax colouring?)

John Schmitt jschmitt at vmlabs.com
Thu Mar 22 15:10:59 EST 2001

In the dog days of DOS, I was a brief guy.  Now I use CodeWright.  It's the
best editor I've used (and I've used vi, although not too extensively).

Why do people want syntax colouring?  I can't stand it.  One of my minor
beefs with CodeWright is that there isn't a one button way to tell it to
change _all_ of my colours all at once.  Am I missing something by disabling
syntax colouring?  It always reminds me of the artwork my 6-year-old nephew
brings home from school to show his mommy.

The one-and-only colour combination that works best for source code is
bright green on black.  Easy on the eyes and a 9 point, sans-serif,
mono-spaced font looks good at 1600x1200 85Hz on a garden variety 17"
monitor.

John