Installing python on a virtual server account.

Lloyd Sommerer lsommerer at sewardweb.com
Fri Mar 23 12:18:01 EST 2001

Greetings,

I am at a bit of a lose.  I've been using python for about a month to
write scripts to handle CGI type things on a website.  My hosting
company has python 1.5.1 installed and says they will not be upgrading
(what they actually said was, "We are removing all references to Python
from our website and are offically no longer supporting it. When we
tried to upgrade to the newest version, it failed.").  They are leaving
1.5.1 in place, but I would prefer to use the current version for my
next project.  I would rather not switch hosting companies.

Does anyone have experience installing 2.0 in a shared hosting
situation?  Even telling me that I can't do it and that I should give up
would  be helpful at this point.

I am on a SunOS 5.7 machine.  Both configure and make seem to run okay.
Make install dies with the message attached at the bottom of this
message.  I'm assuming that is because I don't have the needed
permission.

Thanks for any advice.

Lloyd Sommerer

gcc   python.o \
          ../libpython2.0.a -ldb  -lpthread -lsocket -lnsl -ldl
-lthread -lm  -
o python
Py_Main                             python.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to python
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `link'
Current working directory /home/gatheri/python/Modules
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `python'