Can anyone recomend a good intoduction to C...

Werner Schiendl ws-news at gmx.at
Tue Mar 6 11:27:47 EST 2001

Hi Laura,

The only reason I can imagine at this point to go with plain C is that there
are a lot more platforms that support C than do support C++. This is mainly
a topic in embedded development and realtime platforms.

Since you can do almost anything in C++ that can be done in C with even the
same syntax I think personally it is better to get the high level concepts
first and learn to use of-the-shelve components like the standard library.
The standard library of C++ is in my opinion much more intuitive and easy to
use for a novice programmer than all that traditional C stuff. So I think,
given a good guide like the one I recommended, one will be up and running
much faster. In addition, you will not get into a lot of common pitfalls
common in C programming.

I further think it is easier to move 'back' from C++ to C, when the need
arises, than vice versa. This is simply because you are forced to use a
different technique if the one you are used to does not work on that
platform.
Personally I started with procedural programming and moved to the object
oriented technique afterwards. This is why I think it is hard to get used to
objects when you are used to malloc, free, memcpy and friends.

Did I miss an important point?

regards
Werner