Python IDE Opinion Request

Trond Eivind Glomsrød teg at
Mon Nov 19 03:43:56 CET 2001

"A. Keyton Weissinger" <keyton at> writes:

> 1) Do you use a code editor (SlickEdit, emacs, etc) or an IDE (IDLE, etc)?
> Why?

Emacs. It's the editor I prefer (and use for everything else), it's
extremely customizable and there is a nice python mode available for

> 2) Are there any IDEs out there that allow me to do UIs easily (ala VB)? I
> don't want a big code generator, but being able to drag and drop some simple
> forms would be nice...

While not an IDE, glade is a nice UI designer which matches great with
python - it's what we use in many programs for Red Hat Linux.

It's included in Red Hat Linux, the website is

Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.