Pythonwin and .NET

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 9 05:59:54 EDT 2001

Mark Hammond wrote:
> So if .NET has all the features necessary to allow Python to be fully
> utilized by other .NET languages, many shops will simply choose to use
> these other languages instead of Python - braces aren't *that* bad :)
>
> If .NET never has this capability, it will mean that Python itself can
> only take advantage of Python's features - so why use the .NET
> implementation of Python at all?

I think you're confusing "what shows on the outside of a component" (which
is constrained by CRL rules, etc) with what goes on inside it.  I want to
use Python (and others will want Eiffel, or Cobol, or Mercury, etc) because
I am convinced it gives me incredibly good productivity to implement and
consume those externally-constrained interfaces.  I may want to use Python
on .NET, or on the JVM, or with COM, etc, if and when deployment issues
make that preferable to (e.g.) classic Python with C/API extensions -- it's
as simple as that.  The reflection/introspection abilities of CRL are
adequate (surely a match for those of the JVM!) but most languages make you
use a lot of boilerplate to get at them -- Python can make it smooth and
seamless (if it can on the JVM, why shouldn't it afford the same abilities
on the MSIL/CRL platform we call ".NET framework"?).

Sure, many shops won't get it, and will happily go on Cobol'ing or
whatever.  Think of it as evolution in action, as Niven and/or Pournelle
used to say:-).  If my competitors get half my productivity because they
prefer to use other languages, _I_ am not gonna complain:-).

> But heck - I thought OS/2 was a sure fire winner :)
>
> Mark (who is certainly not speaking for his employer:)

No, but you're just as certainly *the* guy with the most experience merging
Python and .NET at this point in time, so your opinion carries enormous
weight (and well it should!).  Should one be able to sway your opinion, the
prospects of Python on .NET might well change for the better;-).

Alex