Selecting Polygons in an image

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 19 12:10:55 EDT 2002

josegomez at gmx.net wrote:
> The process is fairly simple: you load your image,
> and then you select with them mouse a number of polygons of interest
> (PoI). These can then be saved on to a file as a linked list of
> coordinates. You then use these coordinates to extract information
> from each frame (they are co-registered).

>I was
> thinking about Python, as Numeric would be a terrific tool to use. I
> had a look at scipy, which uses (among others!) some WxWindows
> code to do plotting. However, I don't really know how flexible this is
> to basically treat a canvas region and select points in it and all
> that.

I don't think the SciPy stuff is nearly complete enough to do that yet,
and I don't know if it's headed that way anyway. I'd look further into that.

It would be greatly useful to know of similar efforts before I
> actually get down to do some work on thi!

I am working on a Canvas (with wxPtyhon) that sound very much like what
you need. It displays assorted objects defined in floating point
coordinates, and lets you zoomi in an out and move around the resulting
image. IO'm workong on implimenting the ability to click on objects to
interact with them, but havn't actuallu put that in yet. drop me an
email if you are interested in workig with me on it. My goal is to
create a generally useful tool, so I'd love another user.

Also, there has been recent discussion on the wxPython mailing list
about a general purpose canvas. Chekc the archives, asn get on the list
to join the discussion.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov