Python 2.2 Modules/Setup lies?

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 16:51:30 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1012768207.25312.python-list at python.org>,
  Oleg Broytmann wrote:
>Because Python 2.1+ uses Disutils, not Setup for configuring itself. This
>allows better testing current OS/libraries configuration and selection of
>modules.

Sorry, I don't understand your answer. Do you mean that the README
file is completely wrong? This would appear to be a bit of an
oversight if so. Python 2.2 most certainly is using the Setup file to
configure itself, because it changes things if I alter it. On the
other hand, it does appear to be including modules that are excluded
in Setup. Is there any *correct* documentation for all of this
somewhere? How do I configure things like where socket.c looks for SSL
libraries?