Which gui for slow (133 Mhz) pc

Michael Gilfix mgilfix at eecs.tufts.edu
Fri Jul 26 10:53:52 EDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 25 @ 20:54, Francesco S. wrote:
> >  GUI stuff always comes down to your needs really. But pretty much
> >all the toolkits out there can accomplish the same thing, and at
> >roughly the same speed (which is pretty decent to being with) for most
> >applications.
>
> I don't want to write "applications" now, at first I want to learn and
> maybe write some tiny utilities for myself and play around.

  Ah, k. The nice thing about GUI toolkits though is that once you've
learned one, making a switch to another is relatively easy. You tend
to know what to look for and what to expect from widgets and the only
major difference is usually found in the layout algorithms...

> Hm, again, the three alternatives:
> Porbable is not the question now.
>
> Please correct me, if I'm wrong.
>
> 1)  Tkinter: It is in startup time pretty good, and well documented ,
> stable and straightforward.

  Sure. But if I were just playing around to learn GUIs, I personally
wouldn't opt for Tkinter. The GUI set isn't rich enough (although
there are extensions you can get to obtain richer widgets - I forget
where).

> 2) wxPython is fast (after starting) and has many sophisticated
> widgets.

  Yep. I don't find the startup time that painful on my PII 400..

> 3) PyQt: It is "professional" and powerful and is praised from the
> most people here in this newsgroup.

  Agreed. PyQt is the base GUI toolkit that's used in KDE. If you've
had some experience with different window managers, I suggest just
deciding whether you like the look of KDE or GNOME better. If you
like KDE, use PyQT, otherwise use GTK which is also a well
developed toolkit.

             -- Mike

--
Michael Gilfix